“The richness of the academy’s curriculum is significant in relation to students’ progress. The diversity of subjects and themes, combined with skilled teaching, results in genuine challenge for students. This demanding curriculum encourages self-confident, assertive young people who are, largely, ambitious for their own success and that of their peers.” Ofsted, June 2015
Our first Ofsted report
The Archer Academy’s first Ofsted inspection took place in June 2015. The subsequent report captures the achievements of our first two years and provides a clear pathway for future success, giving the school a grading of good overall, with an outstanding grading for the behaviour and safety of our students.
Among the strengths highlighted in the report are:
- “The behaviour of students is outstanding. There is a clear sense of the ‘Archer Way’ and students adopt those values in everything they do. Students demonstrate excellent attitudes to learning in lessons.”
- “The school’s curriculum is a particular strength. It combines academic rigour with broad and deep coverage of the skills and knowledge needed to successfully progress onto higher education and employment.”
- “High quality teaching in the school’s subject curriculum is providing firm academic foundations for those students currently attending. The wider skills developed in thematic and enrichment opportunities ensure Archer students approach the wide variety of courses with confidence.”
- “Productive learning relationships are at the heart of hard-working classrooms. Along with a highly successful approach to developing literacy, this underpins the good progress that students make… Learners’ work shows that higher than average proportions of students are on track to make expected and more than expected progress in English and Mathematics.”
- “Leaders have set the very highest expectations for behaviour…[and] have ensured that this is a happy, safe academy where strong relationships underpin high professional expectations. This very particular ethos makes a strong contribution to students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.”
The report also commends us on our strong self-evaluation; and we have already started working on the areas we need to develop in order to achieve full outstanding status, such as reviewing our staff training to ensure that our strategies for stretch and challenge are more consistently deployed, and planning further interventions to narrow the gap between disadvantaged students and their peers.
To have laid such firm foundations in just two short years is an achievement that all members of the Archer Academy community can rightly be proud of. We are looking forward to building on the successes and the areas for development highlighted by this report, and to continuing our drive to be recognised as a truly outstanding school.
Archer Academy parents are welcome to give submit their own views of the school directly to OFSTED here: https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/login?destination=give-your-views
You can read the full report here: Archer Academy Ofsted report