Ofsted 2019: Outstanding in all areas
In May 2019 we welcomed Ofsted to the Archer Academy for a full inspection. They spent two days interrogating every area of our school and made the following judgements:
Effectiveness of leadership and management Outstanding
Quality of teaching, learning and assessment Outstanding
Personal development, behaviour and welfare Outstanding
Outcomes for pupils Outstanding
Overall rating Outstanding
The report is a glowing summary of everything that we believe makes the Archer Academy such an exceptional place to learn and grow. Areas specifically praised by Ofsted include:
· Leadership is exceptional. The headteacher’s clear, unwavering vision focuses on supporting pupils’ high achievement across the curriculum. Leaders at all levels are very skilled.
· Pupils make outstanding progress and reach high standards. They also develop into well-rounded individuals by adopting the ‘Archer Way’. Pupils have a thirst for learning and are committed to their education.
· The quality of teaching is routinely strong. This, combined with an effective curriculum and pupils’ excellent attitudes to learning helps pupils to succeed. Teaching is characterised by a strong focus on academic content. Teachers plan lessons that stretch pupils’ understanding.
· Pupils typically start Year 7 with levels of prior attainment that are above average. They make sustained and substantial progress over time. This is because of high-quality teaching, combined with their determination and excellent attitudes to learning.
· Leaders, staff and pupils work together to make the school a harmonious community. Pupils are friendly, articulate and self-confident. They talked to inspectors about their school with great pride. Their behaviour as they move around the building and in lessons is exemplary.
· Leaders ensure that pupils are very well looked after, and that they are kept safe. Pupils are very happy to attend the school. Supporting pupils’ good mental health is a high priority.
To be graded outstanding just six years after opening is a huge achievement, and one of which all members of our school community should be proud. We would like to thank our staff, students, governors, parents and everyone who has been involved in the development of our outstanding school.